U.N. has "solid" reports of 20 civilian deaths in Congo capital

Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:35pm GMT
 

KINSHASA Dec 20 (Reuters) - The U.N. human rights director for the Democratic Republic of Congo said on Tuesday that there were "solid" reports that 20 civilians had been killed in confrontations with security forces in the capital Kinshasa.

"On the issue of deaths, it looks bad," Jose Maria Aranaz told Reuters by telephone. "We are reviewing allegations of up to 20 civilians killed, but it (the information) is pretty solid." (Reporting By Aaron Ross; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

 
Powered by Reuters AlertNet. AlertNet provides news, images and insight from the world's disasters and conflicts and is brought to you by Reuters Foundation.