UPDATE 1-Glencore denies employing child-labour in Congo

Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:08pm GMT
 

* BBC Panorama says under-18s work at Glencore mine in DRC

* CEO says workers are there without its authorisation

* Glencore denies any links to Colombian paramilitaries

By Sarah Young

LONDON, April 16 (Reuters) - Commodities trader Glencore has denied it employs under-18s working at a copper mine in the Democratic Republic of Congo, saying any mining at the mothballed site is without its authority.

The BBC's Panorama current affairs show, due to be broadcast on Monday, said it had footage of youngsters under the age of 18 working at a mine where Glencore owns a licence to operate.

The company, which floated last year after four decades of closely guarded privacy, said it stopped work at the mine in 2008.

Glencore's chief executive Ivan Glasenberg said in comments released by the BBC and due to be screened on the programme that the child miners were working "against all of our authorisation.".

Miners filmed by the BBC at the Tilwezembe mine were part of a group of artisanal miners who took over the area in 2010, Glasenberg said.   Continued...

 
Powered by Reuters AlertNet. AlertNet provides news, images and insight from the world's disasters and conflicts and is brought to you by Reuters Foundation.