U.N. discovers 17 new mass graves in central Congo

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:20am GMT
 

DAKAR, April 19 (Reuters) - U.N. investigators have discovered 17 new mass grave sites in central Democratic Republic of Congo, bringing the total to 40 documented in an area where the army has clashed with a local militia, the United Nations said on Wednesday.

A U.N. statement said the grave sites were reportedly dug by Congolese soldiers after fighting with the Kamuina Nsapu militia in Kasai Central province last month.

(Reporting by Nellie Peyton; Editing by Tim Cocks and Angus MacSwan)

 
Powered by Reuters AlertNet. AlertNet provides news, images and insight from the world's disasters and conflicts and is brought to you by Reuters Foundation.