Tunisia state TV reporters strike over censorship

Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:15pm GMT
 

* State TV news bulletins stop

* Strikers say protesting ongoing censorship

* Reflects frustrations over interim government

By Tarek Amara

TUNIS, Feb 26 (Reuters) - Hundreds of journalists and technicians from Tunisia's state-run television broadcaster have gone on strike over what they said was continued government censorship of their dispatches.

The strike reflects growing public frustration in North Africa's most developed state over the sluggish pace of change since an uprising toppled President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali last month.

"We are on strike demanding an end to all the pressure and to stop the censorship, and to allow us to work freely ... We will not accept restrictions anymore," one of the striking journalists told Reuters, asking not to be named.

"The strike will not stop until those responsible go and we can work freely and independently," another said.   Continued...

 
Powered by Reuters AlertNet. AlertNet provides news, images and insight from the world's disasters and conflicts and is brought to you by Reuters Foundation.