UPDATE 2-Italy seeks more access to Egyptian probe into student murder

Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:21pm GMT
 

* Italian graduate student found dead, tortured by roadside

* Collaboration on investigation has been limited - Rome court

* Italy seeking more access to hard evidence (Recasts lead, adds Italy foreign minister comments, PVS story datelined CAIRO)

By Steve Scherer

ROME, Feb 24 (Reuters) - Italy on Wednesday said Egyptian investigators should hand over the evidence they had uncovered in the death of an Italian graduate student who was tortured and killed in Cairo.

Giulio Regeni, 28, disappeared in January and his battered body was found in a ditch at the beginning of this month. Egypt invited Italian investigators to take part in the probe, but judicial sources in Rome say the collaboration has been limited.

"Cooperation with our investigative team can be and must be more effective. It cannot be only formal," Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni said during parliament's question time.

Regeni had been researching independent trade unions in Egypt and written articles critical of President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi's government, prompting speculation that he was killed in the hands of Egyptian security forces.

Earlier on Wednesday, Egypt's Interior Ministry said there were still several possible scenarios for the murder, but it did not mention the involvement of security forces as a hypothesis.   Continued...

 
Powered by Reuters AlertNet. AlertNet provides news, images and insight from the world's disasters and conflicts and is brought to you by Reuters Foundation.