September 29, 2009 / 11:05 AM / 8 years ago

Guinea death toll jumps to 157 - rights group

CONAKRY, Sept 29 (Reuters) - The death toll from a crackdown by Guinean security forces on opponents of the military junta has risen to 157, a local rights group said on Tuesday, quoting hospital sources in the capital.

Thierno Maadjou Sow, president of the Guinean Human Rights Organisation, said that figure was based on figures provided by hospitals in Conakry and therefore did not include bodies not yet delivered. He estimated over 1,250 people had been injured in the violence on Monday.

Guinean security forces opened fire on tens of thousands of protesters demonstrating against the possibility of military ruler Captain Moussa Dadis Camara standing in elections next year. (Reporting by Saliou Samb; writing by David Lewis)

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below