UPDATE 2-Dozens killed in renewed clashes between factions in Libya's south

Thu May 18, 2017 11:28pm GMT
 

(Updates with comment from Third Force, background)

By Ayman al-Warfalli

BENGHAZI, Libya May 19 (Reuters) - At least 60 people were killed as rival Libyan forces clashed at a southern air base on Thursday, medical and military officials said, dimming hopes that tensions in the area can be calmed.

The violence erupted after a brigade from the western city of Misrata attacked Brak Al-Shati base, which they had previously ceded to an opposing faction aligned with the eastern-based Libyan National Army (LNA).

The two sides are attached to loose and shifting alliances based in the east and west of Libya that have vied for power over the past three years, deepening the divisions that surfaced with the country's 2011 uprising.

A medical source in Brak Al-Shati said 60 bodies had been brought to a hospital there, including members of the LNA-aligned 12th Brigade and civilians who appeared to have been summarily killed.

The mayor of Brak Al-Shati, Ibrahim Zemmi, told local media that the number of dead from the 12th Brigade alone was 74, with a further 18 wounded. A 12th Brigade spokesman, Mohamed Al-Afirs, said as many as 86 people had been killed including his brigade's troops and civilians.

The death toll could not be independently verified. If confirmed it could mark a major escalation in Libya's stop-start conflict in which fighting breaks out frequently but casualty figures are often low.

Over the past few months the area around Brak Al-Shati, including another base at Tamanhent and the southern city of Sabha, has become a flashpoint between forces loyal to the LNA, led by eastern-based commander Khalifa Haftar, and rivals who are aligned with current and former governments in Tripoli and draw on support from Misrata.   Continued...

 
Powered by Reuters AlertNet. AlertNet provides news, images and insight from the world's disasters and conflicts and is brought to you by Reuters Foundation.