WRAPUP 1-Tripoli says NATO strike kills dozens of civilians

Tue Aug 9, 2011 2:41pm GMT
 

He said the dead included 33 children, 32 women and 20 men.

"They (NATO) do not differentiate between soldiers, children and old people," said Abdulkader Al-Hawali, a fifth-year medical student at the hospital in nearby Zlitan where officials said some of the dead and wounded were taken.

Gaddafi's government declared three days of mourning for the victims, according to state television.

This correspondent, taken to the hospital in Zlitan by Libyan government officials, counted 20 body bags in one room, some of them stacked one on top of the other.

Medical workers opened some of the body bags. One contained the body of a child who appeared to be about two years old. Another had inside the remains of a child.

In total, reporters saw about 30 bodies at the Zlitan hospital. Officials said the rest of the people killed in the air strike had been taken to other hospitals, but Reuters was unable to verify that information independently.

NATO TARGET   Continued...

 
Powered by Reuters AlertNet. AlertNet provides news, images and insight from the world's disasters and conflicts and is brought to you by Reuters Foundation.