ICC never had arrest of Gaddafi's son Saif confirmed

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:28am GMT
 

AMSTERDAM Aug 23 (Reuters) - The International Criminal Court said on Tuesday it had never received official confirmation from the Libyan rebels' council that Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, son of Muammar Gaddafi, had been captured.

Saif's arrest had been reported by the rebels but he appeared before foreign media in Tripoli early on Tuesday, raising questions as to the rebels' credibility.

"There was no official confirmation from the National Transitional Council," ICC official Fadi el-Abdallah said. "Different answers were given. That was a little ambiguous."

He added that statements from both the ICC and the prosecutor on Monday said they had received information about the arrest but that they were trying to confirm this.

The office of the prosecutor, which told Reuters early on Monday it had confirmation from sources that Saif had been arrested, has not yet responded to requests for comment. (Reporting by Aaron Gray-Block; editing by David Stamp)

 
Powered by Reuters AlertNet. AlertNet provides news, images and insight from the world's disasters and conflicts and is brought to you by Reuters Foundation.