PRECIOUS-Gold steady; Bernanke speech, U.S. GDP eyed
SHANGHAI, Aug 27 (Reuters) - Gold was steady on Friday, after better-than-expected U.S. unemployment data helped ease fears of a double dip, as investors expect a key speech from Federal Reserve Chairman Bernanke and revision of the U.S. second-quarter economic growth.
* Spot gold XAU= inched down 29 cents to $1,234.65 an ounce by 0033 GMT, after having hit a near 2-month high of $1,244.00 on Thursday, heading for a weekly rise of 0.8 percent.
* U.S. gold futures for December delivery GCZ0 were little changed at $1,237.3 an ounce.
* The sharper-than-expected fall in the U.S. jobless claims sent relief to markets, after a spat of disappointing data deepened fears of a double dip in the world's largest economy. [ID:nN26186848]
* Investors are awaiting a key speech from Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke on Friday, along with an estimate of second-quarter growth, which is expected to be revised lower to an annual pace of 1.4 percent from 2.4 percent.[ID:nN26570206]
* The world's largest gold-backed exchange-traded fund, SPDR Gold Trust (GLD.P: Quote) said its holdings remained unchanged at 1,297.948 tonnes on August 26.
* The dollar edged lower against the yen on Friday, inching back towards a 15-year low hit earlier this week, as investors braced for a speech from Federal Chairman Ben Bernanke speech later in the day. [USD/]
* The Dow closed below 10,000 on Thursday a day ahead of an expected downward revision in U.S. second-quarter economic growth and a major speech by Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke.[.N]
1130 India M3 Money Supply INM3MS=ECI
1230 U.S. Corporate profits Q2-Adv USCPRF=ECI
1230 U.S. Real GDP qq SAAR Q2-Prel USGDP=ECI
1355 U.S. U.Mich conds/expec Aug-F USMSNP=ECI
1430 U.S. ECRI index Weekly USECRW=ECI
RELATED NEWS > US jobless claims fall, but still elevated [ID:nN26186848] > Dow ends below 10,000 on economic worries [ID:nN26224376] > Joint yen intervention unlikely-euro zone sourc[ID:nLDE67P16B] > Germany shines amid mixed euro zone data
[ID:nLDE67P1IO] > Oil gains for 2nd day as jobs data eases concer[ID:nSGE67P07F] > Euro zone private sector lending picks up in Ju[ID:nLDE67P0TT] > Canada finmin says struggling US major worry [ID:nLDE67P1QH] > UK CBI retail sales surge boosts Q3 growth hope[ID:nLDE67P1J2] > Italy consumer morale lowest since March '09 [ID:nLDE67P0NO] > Swiss economy grew much faster in 1st qtr [ID:nLDE67P0KD] > China banks face harsh reality after strong H1 [ID:nTOE67P03Q] > Brazil primary surplus goal recedes on spending[ID:nN26189174]
Precious metals prices at 0033 GMT Metal Last Change Pct chg YTD pct chg Spot Gold 1234.65 -0.29 -0.02 12.68 Spot Silver 18.89 -0.01 -0.05 12.24 Spot Platinum 1526.00 1.00 +0.07 4.02 Spot Palladium 498.00 0.37 +0.07 22.81 Euro/Dollar 1.2700 Dollar/Yen 84.37 (Reporting by Rujun Shen and Jacqueline Wong; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)
© Thomson Reuters 2015 All rights reserved