Six injured in Rwanda grenade attacks
KIGALI, March 30 (Reuters) - Six people were injured on Friday in two separate grenade attacks in Rwandan capital Kigali, just a week after a blast in the north of the country killed one person, police said.
The grenades went off near a busy market called Nyarugenge and in the Gasabo district in the early evening.
"We have two grenade blasts," said Theos Badege, the police spokesman. Four suspects were arrested, he said.
Next Friday Rwanda marks the 18th anniversary of a genocide in which 800,000 Tutsis and Hutus were killed.
One person was killed last Friday and five others injured in an explosion in Musanze, a small town in the north.
Kigali was hit by a string of grenade attacks in 2010, which the government blamed on two senior army officers now in exile.
One of the those, Lieutenant-General Faustin Kayumba Nyamwasa, a former chief of staff and ambassador to India, denied the allegations at the time saying the authorities had staged the attacks and then accused him of being behind them.
The landlocked central African nation suffered at least two grenade attacks last year. Rwanda's High Court sentenced 10 people to life in prison for their part in the attacks in January this year. A further nine received sentences of between five and 20 years in prison.
The latest spate of violence may scare foreign investors at a time when Kigali is keen to drive economic growth. (Reporting by Graham Holliday; Writing by Duncan Miriri; Editing by Louise Ireland)
© Thomson Reuters 2017 All rights reserved