Diffuser row could have been avoided, says Brawn

Sun Apr 5, 2009 9:02am GMT
 

By Alan Baldwin

SEPANG, Malaysia (Reuters) - Formula One's diffuser controversy could have been avoided if those teams now protesting had embraced proposed rule changes a year ago, according to Ross Brawn.

The Brawn GP owner told reporters at the Malaysian Grand Prix that an attempt to simplify aspects of the 2009 regulations at an FIA technical meeting in March last year had been rejected.

The debate surrounds the rear diffuser, which channels the flow of air out of the back of the car as smoothly as possible for maximum grip and downforce.

Protesting teams argue the use of what is effectively a double-decker diffuser is against the spirit of the regulations.

"If I'm frank, I didn't say 'look, we're going to do this diffuser if you don't accept this rule'. Because I'm not going to tell people what we're doing," said the Briton, whose Mercedes-powered team finished one-two in Australia.

"But I explained that I felt we should have a different set of rules to simplify what needs to be done and I offered them and they were rejected. So my conscience is very clear," added Brawn.

"And those rules that I put on the table would have stopped a lot of things. It would have stopped the diffuser and all those bargeboards around the front, it would have cleaned the cars up."

"Nobody was interested then, they are very interested now."   Continued...

<p>Brawn GP team boss Ross Brawn is seen in the pitlane during a testing session at Catalunya's racetrack in Montmelo, near Barcelona, march 9, 2009. REUTERS/Albert Gea</p>
 
Powered by Reuters AlertNet. AlertNet provides news, images and insight from the world's disasters and conflicts and is brought to you by Reuters Foundation.