Time for Mayweather to put up or shut up, says Roach

Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:30am GMT
 

"I'm not going out chasing fighters," said Mayweather, who surrendered his tag as the best pound-for-pound boxer to the Filipino during a 21-month retirement from the sport that ended late last year.

BLOOD TEST

"If Manny takes the (blood) test, we can make the fight happen. If he doesn't, we don't have a fight. If Manny Pacquaio wants to fight, it is not hard to find me."

Pacquiao deferred any talk of a Mayweather fight to the promoters after improving his own career record to 52-3-2 with 38 knockouts after his unanimous points victory over Margarito at Cowboys Stadium.

"I'm not going to fight anybody as long as there is a problem with the decision of the promoter," the 31-year-old Filipino said. "That's my promoter's job. I'm just a fighter to do my job and train hard for the fight."

Whichever opponents are lined up going forward, Pacquiao has indicated he will fight twice more before retiring from boxing to focus on his burgeoning career in politics.

"I am really happy for what I've done in boxing, and I don't want to get too overwhelmed right now because you have to balance responsibility," he said after claiming the vacant WBC super welterweight title.

"That's why I enter (the ring), because I want to help people by making good fights."

Pacquiao's fight on Saturday was certainly a good one, and the most destructive performance by the Filipino Roach had ever witnessed.

"It's the worst beating I have ever seen (by Pacquiao), accumulation-wise and the number of punches landed," he said. "Margarito is a very resilient guy, a tough guy and he has no quit in him.

"His corner should have saved him. He took too much unnecessary punishment to me. I would have stopped that fight. After eight rounds, it was over and it was just a matter of time."

 
Powered by Reuters AlertNet. AlertNet provides news, images and insight from the world's disasters and conflicts and is brought to you by Reuters Foundation.