More than 30 likely killed in S.African floods

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:13pm GMT
 

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - At least 30 people may have been killed and about 1,000 homes damaged by floods in South Africa in the past week, a government estimate showed on Wednesday.

There were no estimates available yet for the amount of damage caused in the major African food producer and global mining power, the ministry of cooperative governance said in a statement.

"The worst affected areas (are) the metropolitan areas of Johannesburg and Pretoria, where an estimated 12 people have lost their lives so far," it said.

The ministry said the National Disaster Management Centre was compiling data and would soon release official numbers on deaths, injuries and damage.

Heavy rains hit the major urban areas of Johannesburg and Pretoria as well as provinces in the northeast and eastern parts of the country.

 
Powered by Reuters AlertNet. AlertNet provides news, images and insight from the world's disasters and conflicts and is brought to you by Reuters Foundation.