Egypt ex-interior minister to be tried with Mubarak
By Yasmine Saleh
CAIRO (Reuters) - A court postponed on Monday the trial of Egypt's former interior minister over the killing of protesters until next week so that he will be tried alongside ousted President Hosni Mubarak.
The ruling followed a weekend of clashes involving protesters demanding swifter reforms and faster prosecution of Mubarak and his officials. Demonstrators clashed with stone-throwing men who blocked a march to the Defence Ministry.
Many Egyptians believe the army is reluctant to speed up the trial of Mubarak, its former commander-in-chief, and say it wants to prevent his public humiliation. They also accuse the army of delaying other reforms.
Judge Adel Abdel-Salam ordered the trial of Habib al-Adli be postponed until August 3 so it was "joined with the case related to the trial of the former President Hosni Mubarak", adding that the evidence and charges were the same.
Six others in the Adli case will be tried on the same day.
Sources had earlier said Mubarak's trial could be held in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh. But merging the case with Adli and other officials could complicate moving the trial from Cairo as all defendants may have to be in the same court, legal experts said.
"The cases have been merged together: where Mubarak is tried, Adli is tried," Judge Ahmed Mekky, the deputy head of Egypt's Appeal Court, said.
Further delays in the case or shifting it to another place could stoke public anger as many Egyptians are particularly keen to see Adli convicted after police used live ammunition, rubber bullets and teargas to try to quash anti-Mubarak demonstrations. Continued...