Mali junta rejects West African transition plan

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:01am GMT
 

By Tiemoko Diallo

BAMAKO (Reuters) - A military junta that seized power in Mali last month rejected a regional plan to extend the rule of an interim civilian government on Saturday, casting a shadow over delicately-balanced negotiations to resolve the country's crisis.

The junta had already agreed to hand over power for 40 days to a civilian government led by caretaker president Dioncounda Traore, and then allow the country to hold elections by the end of May.

But the West African regional bloc ECOWAS on Thursday said the interim government should have up to 12 months to hold the elections.

The junta on Saturday accused ECOWAS of making the decision without consulting it and said the change could derail the whole transition process.

"I want to reassure everyone that the CNRDRE (junta) will stick only to the (earlier 40-day) agreement signed with ECOWAS. It is not possible to change it," coup leader Captain Amadou Sanogo said after a tense meeting with ECOWAS mediators.

"This is with regards to Dioncounda's interim rule. After the 40 days, we will decide which state organs will continue, that is what we agreed and that cannot be changed," Sanogo told journalists.

Adding to uncertainty over the process, he did not refer to holding any elections after the 40-day period.

Armed soldiers gathered outside the talks at the Kati military base, about 20km (13 miles) north of the capital Bamako shouting "Down with ECOWAS" and "Down with Dioncounda".   Continued...

Mali's interim President Diouncounda Traore (C) speaks with military junta leader Amadou Haya Sanogo (L) at a military base in Kati, April 9, 2012. REUTERS/Joe Penney
 
Powered by Reuters AlertNet. AlertNet provides news, images and insight from the world's disasters and conflicts and is brought to you by Reuters Foundation.