Israel reopens Jerusalem holy compound footbridge

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:22am GMT
 

By Jeffrey Heller

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel reopened on Wednesday a wooden footbridge it had deemed unsafe at Jerusalem's holiest and most volatile religious site, treading cautiously over deep political and religious divides.

The structure, leading from Judaism's Western Wall to the sacred plaza where al-Aqsa mosque and the Dome of the Rock stand, was closed Monday while Israel weighed plans that have stoked Arab anger to tear it down and build a sturdier bridge.

Any construction at the site can be politically explosive. During Benjamin Netanyahu's first term as prime minister, his opening in 1996 of a new entrance to an access tunnel for tourists near the compound touched off Muslim protests and gun battles in which 60 Palestinians and 15 Israelis were killed.

Netanyahu's inner cabinet, meeting Tuesday, decided to put the ramp's demolition on hold and "to fix safety hazards" in order to "avert the danger of collapse or fire," Israel's Jerusalem municipality said in a statement.

A police spokesman said the footbridge had been reopened and fire-fighting equipment stationed nearby.

The ramp is used mainly by tourists, and Muslim worshippers reach al-Aqsa through other entrances.

The span's closure was criticised by right-wing Israeli legislators who accused the government of blocking Jews from visiting an area of a city that Israel claims as its united and eternal capital.

The holy compound is in the old walled city of Jerusalem, which Israel captured along with the West Bank in a 1967 war and annexed in a step that has not won international recognition. Palestinians want the area to be part of a state they intend to create in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.   Continued...

 
Powered by Reuters AlertNet. AlertNet provides news, images and insight from the world's disasters and conflicts and is brought to you by Reuters Foundation.