June 3, 2020 / 11:29 AM / in a month

Egypt, UAE welcome Libya ceasefire talks

CAIRO, June 3 (Reuters) - Egypt and the United Arab Emirates said they welcomed an announcement that warring factions in Libya had agreed to resume ceasefire negotiations.

The two countries have been the most prominent backers in recent years of eastern-based commander Khalifa Haftar, who has been waging an offensive to take control of the capital, Tripoli, since April last year.

His military campaign against forces aligned with the internationally recognised government in Tripoli upended previous, U.N.-led efforts for a political settlement in Libya.

In recent weeks the Government of National Accord, supported by Turkey, has driven Haftar’s Libyan National Army out of several areas of the northwest and much of its foothold in the capital. However, the LNA said it retook some ground on Monday.

In a joint statement late on Tuesday, the Egyptian and Emirati foreign ministries “called for parties to fully commit to the political process under the auspices of the United Nations and the Berlin Conference”.

The Berlin conference in January resulted in efforts to reach a ceasefire but that initiative had stalled before this week’s announcement that parties were ready to resume talks.

Reporting by Aidan Lewis; Editing by Giles Elgood

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below