TRIPOLI, March 27 (Reuters) - Libya’s government said on Sunday rebels had attacked what it called a peace convoy heading towards the rebel-held city of Benghazi, wounding 29 people. “Armed militias did indeed attack the peace convoy today, with fire, bullets. Around 29 people were injured. No one was killed,” government spokesman Mussa Ibrahim said.
He said the incident took place near Bin Jawad, a mostly rebel-controlled city in the east.
There was no independent confirmation of the reported attack and rebel officials were not immediately available to comment.
A tribal official, Mohamed Sharif, had earlier this month invited people in the name of the government to join a symbolic procession, “using all means of transport”, from Tripoli to Benghazi, to open reconciliation talks.
Writing by Maria Golovnina