MAPUTO (Reuters) - Mozambique’s government has sacked the heads of the state energy companies responsible for overseeing the development of huge offshore gas reserves, cabinet said late on Tuesday.
The chairmen of Mozambique’s National Hydrocarbons Company (ENH) and the National Institute of Petroleum (INP) had been removed, a statement following a cabinet meeting said, without giving a reason.
Nelson Ocuane has been replaced as chairman of the ENH by the Deputy Minister of Industry and Trade Omar Mitha.
Arsenio Mabote will be replaced at the INP by Carlos Zacarias, who was a member of the state-run company’s board.
The changes come as companies such as Anadarko seek to develop multi-billion dollar liquefied natural gas projects in the southern African nation.
Exxon Mobil, Italy’s Eni and South Africa’s Sasol are among the firms that recently submitted bids to explore new blocks for oil and gas in Mozambique.