TEXT-Excerpts from Libya Contact Group Chair's Statement
ISTANBUL, July 15 (Reuters) - Following are excerpts from the Libya Contact Group Chair's statement at a meeting of the group in Istanbul on Friday:
* The Group stressed that the need for establishment of a genuine ceasefire and provision of safe humanitarian access remains as urgent as ever.
* The participants reiterated that successful implementation of a ceasefire would require the immediate withdrawal of the forces of the Regime in Tripoli to bases, the release of all those detained or kidnapped by the Gaddafi regime, the opening of all borders and border gates in order to ensure fast and unimpeded passage of humanitarian aid and then treatment of the wounded and the provision of water and electricity to all cities and regions in order to help normalize life.
* The Group reaffirmed its support for the legitimate aspirations of the Libyan people which requires a process of comprehensive and inclusive political transition.
* The Contact Group noted that the Gaddafi regime no longer has any legitimate authority in Libya and that Gaddafi and certain members of his family must go.
* Henceforth and until an interim authority is in place, the participants agreed to deal with the National Transitional Council (NTC) as the legitimate governing authority in Libya.
* The Group welcomed the role of the NTC in leading the transition process in Libya and expressed support for its efforts to broaden its popular base to embrace all Libyan people.
* The Group urged all relevant parties to explore ways and means of paving the way for the formation of an interim government to ensure a smooth and peaceful transition of power with the widest popular support possible.
* In line with the NTC's "Road Map", the formation of an interim government should be quickly followed by the convening of a National Congress with representatives from all parts of Libya. Continued...